(FILES) In this file photo taken on December 18, 2021 Barcelona’s French forward Ousmane Dembele runs on the pitch during the Spanish league football match between FC Barcelona and Elche CF at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona. – Barcelona striker Ousmane Dembele, defender Samuel Umtiti and midfielder Gavi have tested positive for Covid-19, the Spanish club said on December 29, 2021, bringing to six the number of infected first team players. The three players join left-back Jordi Alba, centre-back Clement Lenglent and defender Dani Alves who also tested positive this week. (Photo by Pau BARRENA / AFP)
French international winger Ousmane Dembele, whose contract with Barcelona expired last month, ended six months of speculation about his future by agreeing to ‘rejoin’ the Catalan side until 2024, the club announced on Thursday.
“FC Barcelona and the player Ousmane Dembele have reached an agreement for a contract until 30 June 2024,” said a statement on the club website.
The announcement brings an end to a six month soap opera about where the 25-year-old would be playing his football next season.
The Catalans were keen to keep a player who seemed revitalised following the appointment of Xavi Hernandez as coach at the Camp Nou but talks appeared to break down.
In January, Xavi warned Dembele that he had to “extend” his contract or “leave” the club but the French player warned he would not “give in to blackmail”.
Last month, Sports daily Marca described the negotiations as a “dialogue between the deaf”.
Paris Saint-Germain were strongly linked with a move to bring the former Rennes star back to France.
According to the press, Dembele, who joined Barcelona in 2017 from Borussia Dortmund, agreed to lower his salary expectations to fit in with a club that remains in economic difficulties.
Barca, meanwhile, were able to move closer to his wage demands thanks to the 207.5 million euro ($207.5 million) sale of 10 percent of its audiovisual rights to the American company Sixth Street. The club is, moreover, about to sell another 15 percent for 330 million euros.
With the arrivals of Franck Kessie, Andreas Christensen and Raphinha, the resolution of the Dembele affair marks the fourth good catch for the Catalans this summer.
Follow Us

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Why over 200 soldiers applied for retirement – Nigerian Army – Premium Times

FILE PHOTO: Troops of the Nigerian Army. [PHOTO CREDIT: Official Twitter handle…

Team Nigeria and Birmingham 2022 – Daily Sun

The performance of Team Nigeria at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham,…

2023 General Election: A Decider On Nigeria's Democracy And Unity – Nigerian Observer

By RICHARD EWEKA 12 hours ago POLITICS Leave a comment 41 Views…

Nigerian students protest lecturers strike, block Lagos traffic – Reuters

source