Wife of the Lagos State Governor, Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu has flagged off the 2022 Integrated Measles Vaccination Campaign in Lagos State. The vaccination campaign, which started on Friday, will run till Monday, July 4, 2022 across the state.
Flagging off the campaign at the Kosofe Local Council Secretariat, she said measles is a highly contagious, vaccine-preventable disease caused by the measles virus and that it is a disease of public health importance that usually affects children younger than the age of five years.
Sanwo-Olu said affected children developed a high fever, cough, runny nose, redness of the eyes, and a rash that appeared all over the body and that if not prevented or promptly treated, measles could lead to blindness or death.
“Nigeria currently has the highest global burden of measles outbreaks and there have been several outbreaks in some of our LGAs in Lagos State. The measles virus is spread through coughing and sneezing from close personal contact or direct contact with infected persons. Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated children can become infected in crèches and schools, which is why it is important to protect our children from the virus.
“The measles vaccine reduces mortality in children by over 80 per cent which makes it a very crucial public health intervention, however, only 85 per cent of children who receive the first dose of the measles vaccine may be protected, thereby bringing about the clear need to revaccinate and protect the remaining unprotected 15 per cent of children,” she stated.
Sanwo-Olu added that the 2022 measles campaign would be integrated with other services to improve efficiency and effectiveness, especially at the primary health care level so that parents and caregivers could access multiple services at the same time.
The First Lady said the campaign would be conducted for eight days each in two streams to maximize resources and ensure that government reached all the eligible populations during these periods and that there would be 10 participating LGAs per stream.
“The first stream will commence on the 17th to 24th of June 2022 and the participating LGAs are Agege, Ajeromi, Alimosho, Amuwo-Odofin, Badagry, Ibeju, Kosofe, Lagos Mainland, Lagos Island, and Surulere.
“The second stream will start on the 27th of June and run till the 4th of July in the following remaining 10 LGAs – Apapa, Epe, Eti-Osa, Ifako-Ijaiye, Ikeja, Ikorodu, Mushin, Oshodi-Isolo, Ojo and Somolu. A total of 1,800 vaccination teams will be available per stream across the LGAs and LCDAs and the teams will be providing the services mentioned above (measles vaccination with vitamin A supplements, routine immunization, and covid vaccination) from fixed and temporary fixed posts that includes public and selected private hospitals, schools, clinics in religious houses and houses of influential community leaders all in a bid to reach the eligible population and achieve a 100 per cent coverage,” he explained.
The Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, said this campaign would be integrated with other services to improve efficiency and effectiveness especially at the primary healthcare level.
Abayomi, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr Olusegun Ogboye, said that parents and caregivers could access multiple services at the same time, noting that measles vaccine; vitamin A and polio vaccine would be given to the children free of charge.

Follow Us

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Why over 200 soldiers applied for retirement – Nigerian Army – Premium Times

FILE PHOTO: Troops of the Nigerian Army. [PHOTO CREDIT: Official Twitter handle…

Team Nigeria and Birmingham 2022 – Daily Sun

The performance of Team Nigeria at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham,…

2023 General Election: A Decider On Nigeria's Democracy And Unity – Nigerian Observer

By RICHARD EWEKA 12 hours ago POLITICS Leave a comment 41 Views…

Nigerian students protest lecturers strike, block Lagos traffic – Reuters

source